Hiking excursions are offered by tour companies and also by individuals who are professional guides. By combining sightseeing with exercise, hiking tours can offer a distinctive outdoor vacation experience. Some hiking tour companies offer combination tours that mix hiking with another tour element, such as a helicopter or airplane ride. Hiking tours can last anywhere from an hour to overnight camping excursions.
An ideal way to meet fellow adventurers, a hiking tour is a great way to stay in shape while vacationing. It’s important to do some research before booking a hiking tour; by making sure that you are going on a hiking excursion that fits your interests and athletic ability, you are helping to ensure that you will have a positive, memorable vacation experience.
Advantages of Hiking Tours
- An experienced hiking tour guide can show you local sights that you couldn’t find on your own.
- A hiking tour gives you a face-to-face experience with nature
- One of the most athletic vacation excursions, you can get a full workout in a unique environment
- Hiking on vacation enables you to meet other athletic adventurers.
- Hiking tours offer unique photo and video opportunities to record memories of your trip.
Disadvantages of Hiking Tours
- If you are not athletic, it might be hard to stay at the same pace as more experienced, habitual hikers.
- On the other end of the spectrum, if you hike every day and are in excellent shape, you could become bored with an inexperienced group of weekend warriors.
- Because you are hiking in a group, you may not have time to stop and view a scenic point that you find interesting.
- People who are prone to allergies could find a hiking tour challenging, even with allergy medicine or an inhaler.
- If you are hiking with children, you will have added responsibilities, such as keeping them happy, hydrated and protected from the sun.
Hiking Tours- Should You Lace Your Boots or Stay Behind?
If you have any mobility issue, a hiking tour probably is not the excursion for you. People with cardiovascular or heart problems should avoid hiking tours- although guides are experienced in CPR, you could be hundreds of miles from the nearest hospital of you become overexerted. Babies and small children should not go on a hiking tour, and pregnant women should check with their doctor to ensure that they are in good health before booking a hiking tour.
If you are an athletic, social individual who loves the outdoors, a hiking tour is a healthy way to explore new areas. A hiking tour is can be an intense, physically challenging and rewarding experience, and you have the opportunity to make lifelong friends and strengthen existing work and family relationships. If you enjoy taking pictures on vacation, a hiking tour can give you access to amazing sights- photographers and artists of other disciplines will enjoy the artistic inspiration that the natural beauty of a hiking tour can provide.