Housed in the Tusayan National Geographic Visitor Center, this IMAX Movie Theater is unlike any other of its kind. It was actually one of the first IMAX Theaters ever built, and it is today dedicated to showing a single film to visitors each day – “Grand Canyon – The Hidden Secrets.” This film is highly recommended for first-time visitors to the Grand Canyon, as it provides an excellent introduction to the National Park and a useful overview of local sights and other locations of note.
Grand Canyon IMAX Theater History and Background
The IMAX Theater at the Grand Canyon Visitor Center was one of the first IMAX Theaters ever constructed. The screen is six stories high, well over 4,000 times bigger than a typical movie screen, and is lit by a 15,000-watt lamp. The sound system offers 12,000 watts of digital surround sound that is guaranteed to blow your hair back. “Grand Canyon – The Hidden Secrets” is the only film shown on this screen and is re-aired all day on the half hour. The film is available in 2D only.
What’s at the Grand Canyon IMAX Theater
“Grand Canyon – The Hidden Secrets” is an invaluable introduction to this amazing National Park. It showcases the best highlights of the Grand Canyon, from archeological sites to viewpoints and beyond. It also provides a comprehensive history of the human relationship with the canyon, from the time of the Native Americans through the earliest explorations to its modern emergence as one of the most popular National Parks.
It’s also a purely enjoyable experience for fans of the IMAX genre; viewers can enjoy phenomenal perspectives of the canyon rims, depths, and the rough waters of the Colorado River that rush throughout. It’s an especially attractive film for younger viewers, and will get everyone excited about the natural wonders ahead. The theater is more than large enough to accommodate large groups if you happen to be traveling in numbers, and most bus tours will stop here, making it easy to get to even if you don’t control your own itinerary.
Tips for Visiting Grand Canyon IMAX Theater
- “Grand Canyon – The Hidden Secrets” is a 34-minute film that begins on the half hour.
- The theater is air-conditioned, so it’s a nice place to cool off!
- Ticket prices vary, but all tickets are all under $15.
- Most of the Pink Jeep Tours leave from here.
- Tickets are included or are an option in several Grand Canyon Tours from Las Vegas including the South Rim Bus Tour by Papillon and several Pink Jeep Tours.
- There is a visitor’s center here run by National Geographic. It often gets confused with the Visitors Center at the South Rim near Mather Point.
- This film is available in seven languages, including: English, French, German, Korean, Chinese, Japanese and Spanish
- Tickets can be purchased in advance online, and their website often offers discounts!